14 August 2017
Bongil Bongil National Park draft PoM
Office of Environment and Heritage
PO Box 1236
Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
By Email: email@example.com
Bongil Bongil National Park draft plan of management
On behalf of the Bellinger River Branch of the Australian Labor Party, I am writing in relation to the “Draft Plan of Management for the Bongil Bongil National Park”.
On the face of it, the strategy and document appears well thought through and well put together, ensuring there’s an understood plan for the management of this important ecological site on the Coffs Coast.
That said, we take nothing for granted, particularly under a Liberal and National Party Coalition State Government and the instruction it may issue to the Office of Environment and Heritage, which, based on previous experience, doesn’t support conservation values.
The Branch has discussed the matter and would like assurances on the following, which it believes are essential for the long term success and management of the park:
- Provision for future inclusion of the park in the Great Koala National Park policy of NSW Labor.
- Additional protection for koalas and other endangered flora and fauna species from natural and human made hazards.
- Conservation and restoration of indigenous heritage and access to such sites.
- No sale of land and or the granting of land to other community groups.
- No expansion of recreational four wheel drive activity.
- No recreational hunting.
- Initiatives to deal with climate change induced rising sea and river levels.
- The need for additional resources from the National Parks and Wildlife Service to implement the plan.
Thank you again for the preparation of this important document to help ensure the future of this critical ecological site.